Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Miracles Do Happen!!!

“Dreams CAN come true,” my oncology doc told me the night before my endoscopy when I shared with him the dream my mom had. She dreamt that the doctor couldn’t find anything in the endoscopy!

As many of you know that I had an endoscopy yesterday. Before my GI doc began the procedure, I told him about the dream & that he shouldn’t find anything. And being a good listener as he is, he didn’t!!! When he came in the recovery room, he said that had he not known what existed & where, he wouldn’t have been able to find much. All that is left now is a little scar on visual inspection. Biopsies were taken for microscopic evaluation. Tis’ no less than a miracle to have such great prognosis so early on in the course of treatment! This one adds to the list of many miracles that preceded it during the time of diagnosis & early care.

My nurse in the recovery area kept complementing on my head. If you haven’t seen it yet, you ARE definitely missing out! A couple folks have mentioned that I look like a character from Star Wars. And the nurse yesterday was insistent that I send my picture for the next Star Trek & Star Wars movie :-). If I like you then I’ll let you rub my head for good luck…virtual rubs are also available for the out of town folks (for a higher premium though).

In my email yesterday, I think I confused a few people. The cancer is probably not gone even though visually it seems like almost a complete resolution. I will still need chemo & surgery, but the surgery will be far less extensive. The therapy continues as is. The endoscopy was just to tell us that whatever we’re doing is working! Although, I’ve already planted the seed for bargaining with my doc about reducing the chemo tx given such promising news. And as you know, brown people are known for bargaining…other than the fact that my doc is also brown :-). I’m sure he’ll do what’s best for me overall cuz if you leave it up to me, I would’ve stopped chemo like yesterday! I’ll just say that it took a LOT of self-convincing to go get chemo today!

And just when I was thinking no more chemo, I ended up sitting in between 2 jolly ol’ men today at the clinic. Both looked like they were probably in their 60s. One was actually 90 years old & this was his 5th cancer, all 5 being different & unrelated cancers! His first cancer was caught by a nodule in his neck that he used to play around with while he was in service. Talk about being a fighter – 5 different types of cancers & still going (kinda like the energizer bunny) – whoa, age 90 & looks like 65, & quite a funny man. And not only that, his wife also looks young. I don’t know how old she is, but she looks like she’s been with him for a while. I always wanted to find someone who would make me laugh…today I am convinced that my thought process was right! I think women who look young after years of marriage, even though they’re in old age, look young because their husbands keep them laughing. I would know, I live with one of these special couples, my parents!

So, the moral of yesterday was…believe in miracles, because they do happen!
And the moral of today is…
- for all the single girls reading this, take heed of the above advice when looking for a guy
- for the single guys, if you want a good girl, make sure you know how to make someone laugh,
- for the couples, well first, smile & laugh at a single girl’s love advice, & then apply it to your lives if missing in action :-)

2 comments:

Shhhh! said...

Ohhhhh yeah!!

So... I wanna virtual rub. That's sounds soooo wrong. ;)

Love,

Unknown said...

Wonderful news
Hope to see you sometime in khane
Love
Al-Rose